Three core concepts
Achieving Personal Best
- Through flawless preparation and execution, the Tokyo 2020 Games aim to deliver an event where every athlete can realise their best performance and achieve their personal best.
- The world's best technologies will be adopted in developing competition venues and in operating the Games.
- All Japanese citizens, including Olympic and Paralympic volunteers, will employ their utmost resourcefulness as hosts to welcome visitors from around the world with the best Japanese omotenashi, or hospitality.
Unity in Diversity
- Accepting and respecting differences in race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth, level of ability or other status allows peace to be maintained and society to continue to develop and flourish.
- The Tokyo 2020 Games will foster a welcoming environment and raise awareness of unity in diversity among citizens of the world.
Connecting to Tomorrow
- The Tokyo 1964 Games completely transformed Japan, enhanced
Japanese people's awareness of the outside world and helped bring about rapid growth of Japan's economy.
- The 2020 Games will enable Japan, now a mature economy, to promote future changes throughout the world, and leave a positive legacy for future generations.
Games operations and various actions based on the Games Vision
- Ensure that every aspect of Games delivery incorporates the relevant principles laid out in the Games Vision, including in the development of venues and infrastructure and the staging of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
- The Tokyo 2020 Games will encompass a wide range of areas, with a far-reaching time and regional span. We will establish a cross-sectional framework from the initial phase to ensure the active engagement of the Government of Japan, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, the JOC, the JPC, the business community, and other relevant parties. We will also establish an "Action & Legacy Plan" in 2016.
- Incorporate the recommendations adopted in the Olympic Agenda 2020 into the delivery of the Games; the Tokyo 2020 Games will contribute to the beginning of the Olympic reforms included in the Agenda 2020.
(This article is reproduced by the courtesy of the Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.)